Southside Baseball

Lakaya Johnson, Writer

This years 9th grade baseball players are trying out for Southside. Chaffin does not have a baseball team, but will allow 9th graders who try out and make the Southside or Northside team to begin practicing for their 10th grade year, or even playing for the varsity team if coach approves. Tryouts were held on Tuesday the 28th at Evans boys and girls club. It was rumored that Southside tried picking their teams before baseball season started this year to have less people on the team than last year, four Chaffin students made the team.

I have spoken with Landon Chaffin who attended Chaffin Junior High, he is now a junior at Southside High School. Landon played for the varsity team for Southside when he was attending chaffin in the 9th grade. He has now had three years experience playing for Southside. His positions are  pitcher, first baseman, and center fielder. Landon has been playing baseball since he was six years old. He has played travel ball and fall ball before becoming a Maverick for Southside. Landon is determined to go to Connor State College in Oklahoma, with  baseball as his career.

I have also spoken with Cameron Lewis who is a 9th grader here at Chaffin Junior High. Cameron is now a Maverick  on Southside’s baseball team, along with other students from different Junior High’s. Cameron has been playing baseball since he was five years old. He played for church league, travel ball, and fall ball. Cameron played the positions of catcher and pitcher, but states he “would play any position given to him if it means staying on the team.” Cameron would like to go to college with his baseball career but also has other activities in mind, he plays the alto saxophone in Chaffin’s band which he has been in since 7th grade. Cameron wants to stay close to home and attend college at UAFS, but is open to scholarships if given to him.

The first practice for the new recruits start on Tuesday, September 5th, 2017. Baseball season will begin in February 2018, and I’m sure the Southside Mavericks will be prepared for the coming season.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Southside Baseball”

1. Lashawna Johnson on October 6th, 2017 7:44 pm

Great job Lakaya. Im very proud of you.

[Reply]

2. Kay Corley on October 6th, 2017 8:12 pm

LaKaya, you did a very good job. Very proud of you. You provided good information, in an easy way to read.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Chaffin Junior High
Southside Baseball