Car Wreck has Lasting Effects

Lakaya Johnson, Writer

On August 8, 2017 I Lakaya Johnson was in a car wreck. My grandmother was the driver in a brand new dodge journey, with me as the passenger. We were going to the store just like every other day, not knowing it would be dramatically different. The accident occurred in front of J and B Supply on Zero Street, interstate 255. The speed limit was 50 but my grandmother slowed down to let a car pull out of J and B Supply. The truck behind us was not watching the road, speeding as well. They hit us with a hard impacted from behind, the impact was so strong because of the difference between the speed both vehicle’s where going. The force of the collision felt as if 100 bulls rammed into our backs.
My grandmother called 911 and was immediately taken in an ambulance to Mercy. As the sirens of the cop cars pulling up to the scene of the crash I realized I was not alone but surrounded by strangers digging through the damage, asking me questions after questions. I had already called both my parents and as soon as they arrived more questions were asked. With all the noise going on I began to feel faint and was taken to Mercy as well. When the crash happened I was looking down at my feet, my head hit the back of the seat and the window. My left wrist banged against the shift stick, and the seat belt pushed against my chest and shoulders. After having a cat scan done the results showed that I had a small concussion with lots of whiplash and swollen lymph nodes along with my left wrist weak as can be.
For eight weeks now I have been going to a chiropractor with my grandmother, we go twice or three times a week. Kids under 18 are known to heal better and faster than adults above 18. I am only 14 so I should have gotten better real soon but frankly I have been getting worse since the crash happened, my grandmother has been healing at a normal rate. On friday, September 15 I went to see Doctor Danny Silver, I was sent to see him by my chiropractor from my results getting worse from the accident. Doctor silver told me I still had whiplash in my shoulders, chest, back, and neck. He scheduled me to get shots in my main pain spots to see if it helps or gets worse. On Tuesday, September 26 at 3:15 I was given six shots. My nurse would not allow me to see the needles of the shots but the pain and feeling of my blood tripping down my back was enough for me to know they had to be pretty big. The rest of the day I felt like I was giving someone a piggyback ride but they wouldn’t get off. I was hurting so bad that I couldn’t get out of bed the next day for school.
I am still seeing a chiropractor twice or three times a week and go to get a MRI on Tuesday, October the 10th to get my results. Since the injections I have been able to do more athletic activities but I still fail to even do a push up. I still have pain playing my violin and carrying my books around school and have the worst head aches during class. This whole journey has been absolutely terrible, I never knew how something this small could mean so much. I used to see a car wreck and think that the people were fine but after being in one myself I know that its no walk in the park, you can’t just walk away from it. I’ll always have the memories of that tragic day, I’ll always have the holes in my back and the scars on my neck. No one can understand how I feel or felt unless they have experienced being in a wreck themselves, cars are a dangerous thing so be careful out there. That’s my crazy little car wreck story.