2018 Rotary Speech Contest

-The definition of rotary is an organization of business and leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.

On January 22nd there was a rotary speech contest at the Taliano’s, it is open to any high school students. If they get first place they usually get $500 reward, second place rewarding $250, and to third place $100. Which that is quite the load of money if I do say so myself.. Students are asked to incorporate each part of the Rotary four-way test into their speeches. Below are what they had to incorporate into their speech:

• Is it the truth?
  • Is it fair to all concerned?
  • Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  • Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

The speech had to be between 5 to 7 minutes long. Points were to be removed if the speech was shorter or longer than the restricted time. The speech was to be creative, it could be humorous, could be serious, historical, current, commonplace, or unique.

Who ever wins the contest goes to SouthSide High School  to compete with a different winner to determine who can represent Fort Smith in the Rotary District 6110 competition.

3 lucky students from, well, Chaffin Junior High made it into the contest. Their names are… drum roll please… Jack Minnick, Anna-Claire Tilley, and Harris Ryna. (sorry if I misspelled any of your names)

The contest started at about 12:30 am and it ended around about 2 o’clock pm.

Anna-Claire Tilley got 1st place

Jack Minnick got 2nd place

Harris Ryna got 3rd place

I talked to Anna-Claire Tilley on Tuesday, February 6th, 2018, at Chaffin Junior High school during first period about the rotary club speech contest. She said that the speeches were very progressive, and that the crowd was to some extent stiff, and don’t forget about the family members who went to listen.

Harris went first, and his speech was on racial profiling in the education system. Harris may have this problem, people judging him or something because of his race or ethnicity. Then again, anyone could have this problem no matter what race or ethnicity they are.

-Racial Profiling is the use of race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed an offense.

Then Jack delivered his speech, and he was very controversial in the crowd. His speech was on electoral college.

-Electoral college is a body of people representing the states of the United States, who formally cast votes for the election of the president and vice president.

Anna went last, her speech was on a peaceful protest, she happened to have some information saved from last year, so she used that in her speech as well as new things she learned. She also asked if it was fair to all concerned.

Anna said that some grumpy man asked Jack a question and he answered, and handled it smoothly. The old man also shook Jack’s hand and said this is a republic not a democracy.

She also said that there was a speech for $1.00, which is where you obviously pay $1 to write and then say a speech about anything you want, anything.

While I had been talking with Anna-Claire Tilley she just seemed very excited to be talking about the speech contest. She kept repeating that it was super fun. Every-time she said a sentence, she usually did some hand gestures. She also said it pumps her up to talk about the contest. She just had a big smile on her face, and big eyes every now and then, and she talked quite loud, but that was because she was excited to be sharing all of this.