Chaffin Mascot

Lexi Vaughan, writer

Would you ever consider being your school’s mascot? Well, JT Beasly did consider being a mascot for his school. He even is the mascot for his school. Cool right? Yes.

Mr. Beasly wanted to be his school mascot since last year, 2017. He would have went to the tryouts for it, but he missed it in a months time. What made him want to be the mascot is that he just thought it would be fun, and he knew some cheerleaders who he thought would want him to be a mascot. He also thought it would be fun to cheer on a team. For the tryouts to be the mascot you were given a CD with music on it and you had to create like a dance that goes with it to wow and hype up the judges.

JT, as a mascot, has to go to every game and get people hyped up, mainly basketball and football games. Seeing as he is a mascot, and is with like the athletes and cheerleaders, I was wondering if he thought it made him popular. He answered that it doesn’t really make him popular, but he feels like a little more people know him because of him being the school mascot. Which I thought sounded about right. No offense I had no clue who he was, so I was just curious as to how he would answer to the question. He also said that at least 5-8 more people know him.. They point out that he is the mascot.

So, on Thursday the 5th, 2018 in April, the 6th graders from near elementary schools came to Chaffin to get talked to about the school, and activities… things like that. JT got to be in his mascot suit and he said “For one it was hot, this may seem cheesy, but it feels kind of natural” He liked being in the custom.” He said it was fun to see all the 6th grader coming and going. He got to high-five the children, and make them less nervous, well try to. When he performed in-front of the 6th graders he used his tryout dance. He said he did the dance better than he did when he was trying out. Overall JT Beasly thinks it if fun to be the mascot, he said it has its weird times, since he is a guy and doesn’t have as much flexibility, he mainly does hand movements. Another downside is that there isn’t much air way in the costume, but overall JT says,  “It is really fun, I really love it.” “I love getting people hyped up for the pep rally and the game.”